PDA

View Full Version : How much sleep do YOU get during the school nights?

hopper2k
September 22nd, 2003, 17:24
I was wondering how much sleep us computer graphics people get during the typical school week. I know us 3D people hardly get any. I'm getting 4 hours if I'm lucky. What about you web/print people? Is it the same for you guys (this is what I really want to know)?

Professor Watkins
September 22nd, 2003, 18:08
Well, this weekend when I was working on AJ's room and dog, I was averaging about 4 hours/night. But I was also working on the London video and some other stuff.

I feel your pain.....

Sleep is for the weak.

Joseph Blalock
September 22nd, 2003, 18:57
Originally posted by hopper2k
What about you web/print people? Is it the same for you guys (this is what I really want to know)?

sure is..

Professor Watkins
September 22nd, 2003, 21:09
8 or 9?!! Holy cow! We aren't working you nearly hard enough.

Joseph Blalock
September 22nd, 2003, 21:10
Originally posted by Professor Watkins
8 or 9?!! Holy cow! We aren't working you nearly hard enough.

LOL...she doesnt speak for everyone!!!! :)

Professor Watkins
September 22nd, 2003, 21:50
wow! Feisty! Me thinks she doth protest too much! ;-)

Let's see:

8:00 pm to 4:00 am (so you can be at work at 5) - that's still 8 hours of sleep! Can't imagine what that would be like. Yep, we're not working you hard enough.

ProfClayton
September 22nd, 2003, 22:34
Late to bed,
early to rise,
gives you a headache,
and bloodshot eyes.

Me?... in bed around Midnight/1 AM... up at 6 AM... that's around 5-6 hrs for you with poor math skils.

Except for weekends... when I can tag on one or two hours more... besides, the good cartoons don't begin until 8:30 anyways... that and the kids sleep in as well. ;)

(Just don't ask us how much sleep we got in grad school, right Adam... ;) )

tiffanyann
September 22nd, 2003, 22:39
Originally posted by malMethod

Hey getting drunk and partying does not consist of why you are not getting enough sleep!! ;) and as far as sleep is for the weak...no wonder you 3D folks are always in such a crabby mood!! lol

Professor Watkins
September 22nd, 2003, 23:05
Crabby now, sleepless now, but employed in the industry later. Seems like a fair trade to me.

As far as getting more accomplished in less time; well, imagine what more could be accomplished with all that extra time you seem to be saving.

Isrithe
September 22nd, 2003, 23:49
I would love to get 8 or 9 hours of sleep. The way I see it, sleep is a waste of time sometimes. Thats why I fall asleep during classes, well not now, the computer monitor keeps me awake with its blood thirsty rays.

And the true sign that we are being worked hard enough is falling asleep at the wheel and waking up from the sound of your head pounding the horn. Its happened once, but for only a couple of seconds.

Professor Watkins
September 23rd, 2003, 07:48
Now Richard....just look at all the trouble you've caused.......just with one little innocent post.

ProfClayton
September 23rd, 2003, 08:40
... I couldn't come up with one for the web/print side... and believe me I tried! ;)

Professor Watkins
September 23rd, 2003, 08:54
Great. Now I'm going to have that damn song in my head all day.

hopper2k
September 23rd, 2003, 12:45
Try singing that out loud now.

Joseph Blalock
September 23rd, 2003, 17:57
Originally posted by Romeoandjuliet
You should get all the facts before you make judgements. Where do you spend all your time Mal Method at Hooters?

*shrug* i was just implying by:

was that i dont go to sleep as early as you do. nothing more, nothing less -- no judgements on my part.

p.s. your judgement of me spending my time at hooters is incorrect kthx

Isrithe
September 23rd, 2003, 18:15
wish I could spend my time at hooters.

Professor Watkins
September 23rd, 2003, 22:44
Oh no! It's 11 pm, I've been up since 6; it means I must have been wasting my time all day. I've gotten so much done, yet....such an empty feeling with all that wasted time [I guess].

Oh well. Better just go to bed then.

Isrithe
September 23rd, 2003, 23:10
Im still up, going to stay up and going to test my strengths of sleep. Ive already missed one assignment in compositing class and thats probably because I went to sleep over the weekend over the other projects I had to do. If I only I had insominia, then I would be happy. :)

Joseph Blalock
September 23rd, 2003, 23:26
im still up working on print and web stuff

hopper2k
September 24th, 2003, 00:03
Yeah I'm still up doing stuff, for both 3D and web1 (much worse over the weekend). But I'm not complaining (hehe).

Isrithe
September 24th, 2003, 00:29
I complain all the time about sleep rather than 3d. I love 3d, I just wish we werenít so dependant on sleep. Because you know things can really get done when youíre in a crazy haze staring at your computer monitor in the middle of the night. Thatís how I can think the best, when everyone in my house is no longer blabbing their useless mouths and I can actually think and concentrate and create, and wow you get the point!

phoenixrai
September 24th, 2003, 01:13
lmao...you guys are freaking crazy. i average around 3-4 hours a day--sleep is way over-rated :D

audview
September 24th, 2003, 15:01
i dont know about yall, but I can't function without my sleep.
at least 7 hrs for me. Am I wasting my time? nope. i love to sleep!

Thomas Monberg Thompson
September 24th, 2003, 15:33
well, Im the spoiled idgit compared to you guys, I allways sleep until 9 from midnight. 9 hours of sleep is just right. On the flip side I dont have to work (thank goodness for scholerships and a free ride policy that they grant =). but on top of other things usualy I dont work my self to death on anything these days. btw if you eat banana's it makes up for the seritonine you lose from sleep which is an agent that actually makes you happy and less grumpy, more seriene like. (sex also does this btw). just some advice for you insomniacs

Professor Watkins
September 24th, 2003, 16:03
Nine hours of sleep....wow. And you're in 3D....? Enjoy it while you can. By the time you're done with 3D I, it'll be hard to get 9 hours of sleep a night. And 3D II and beyond....man the sleep depravation is barely beginning.

The scary thing is, work in the industry isn't much better. You're probably getting more sleep now than you'll get for the first 5-8years of your career. That must be why you're saving it all up now.

Isrithe
September 24th, 2003, 16:31
who cares about getting no sleep in the industry. If I got a job, then I can afford some caffene.

ProfClayton
September 24th, 2003, 20:01
This thread is making me tired! :)

hopper2k
September 24th, 2003, 21:37
From cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/04/24/fyh.sleep.deprivation/index.html)
"Sleeping poorly can have severe consequences. The Archives of Internal Medicine links sleep deprivation to heart disease.

Poor sleep also causes fatigue, depression and poor concentration.

Each year, sleep deprivation contributes to about 100,000 car accidents with 1,500 deaths. "

and

Top Ten Sleep tips from the National Sleep Foundation (http://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleeptips.cfm) (click for more descriptions of the tips)

"1. Keep a regular sleep schedule
2. Avoid caffeine
3. Avoid nicotine
4. Avoid alcohol
5. Don't eat or drink too much close to bedtime
6. Exercise at the right time promotes sleep
7. Use relaxing bedtime rituals
8. Create a sleep-promoting environment
9. Associate your bed with sleep and sex only
10. Limit sleep time in bed. "

ProfClayton
September 24th, 2003, 22:08
My brother-in-law has the following phrase taped to his mirror:

<center>8 Hours of Work
8 Hours of Sleep
8 Hours of Free Time</center>

I guess free time means home work for him (he's in school too...)

Thomas Monberg Thompson
September 24th, 2003, 23:06
Caffine has never kept me up at all. Instantly after drinking it I become drained and twice as tired as I was before and in consequence making alot of mistakes in homework. And do remember what I told you guys who like to stay up all night to help the effects of grumpyness(mainly #9 on the list=). Plus caffine also changes your brain chemestry where it becomes an addict agent.

eightballuiw
September 24th, 2003, 23:59
Hmm, I can't give up that wonderful thing known as soda. I don't really know if it keeps me awake because I haven't gone for a long enough period without to know if I would even have withdrawls. Render is done. Oh well, back to working on stuff. Can't waste time posting.

hopper2k
October 2nd, 2003, 01:06
I posted the same thread on CGTalk and it's gotten a lot of replies real fast. If you wanna read them click this link:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91734&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Jacqueline
October 2nd, 2003, 09:45
I used to sleep about 10-11 hours a week in high school. Then again, I was homeschooled... I finished my schoolwork early, then slept when everyone else was in school. It was a nice mix actually...

Anyway, now I get about five hours of sleep. Hmm...

Isrithe
October 2nd, 2003, 21:05
got two hours of sleep last night and worked all day on projects and stuff and at the end of the day, you get to see pretty colors, but in my case I saw them on the road home, just glad I didnt get a ticket for swirving!

Will
October 2nd, 2003, 22:43
Well lately I've been getting sleep, but I usually get about 4-5 a night, but I ran out of No doze pills and HEB is freash out of Jolt Cola. So I have to wait till later this weekend. Which is also the reason why I keep moaning about going to mcdonalds for the past couple days.

Hey did I mention I could live off Sardine spread and onions with wheat bread for 2 weeks! yeah its good sheet.

Jacqueline
October 3rd, 2003, 00:03
For the past week I've had a cold... My body has been very tired, and I have been sleeping quite a bit. Now I sort of miss my sleep-in days. :(

Ohhh, that's why you wanted to go to McDonalds?? I would have gone with you today, but I got distracted. Wait, what does sleep deprivation have to do with McDonalds?

I could live off carrot juice and spinach mushroom pizza. Mmm!