PDA

View Full Version : Over The Hedge

SublimeOne
June 12th, 2006, 19:05
Saw this today, thought it had a solid story and sympathetic characters. Good moral too. Animation suffered nothing, minor pose-to-pose usage but it felt appropriate. Overall *4 stars*

Will
June 12th, 2006, 22:25
Say man do you think it was better then Cars? I'm beginning to think that I enjoyed One Man Band better then the entire Cars movie as a whole. I guess its cuase I'm more interested in biped character animation regardless of how complex it must have been to convey human characteristics to vehicles(I hope to challenge myself with a similar project). I did however favor GUido, the little helper fo luigi who hardly said a thing at all, but had some terrific poses and funny facial expressions.

SublimeOne
June 13th, 2006, 23:03
Yeah, that's about the only thing that did it for me in this movie were those two characters, kind of like Madagascar with the monkeys. I think OTH had a solid story where as Cars swiped theirs....sort of. Overall I like Cars for their appearance, OTH for morality/well balanced characters.

SublimeOne
June 14th, 2006, 00:30
Hey Will, I just picked up a recent copy of 3D World (The one with the girl on the cover, don't have it with me right now but anyway...) I was reading up on a tutorial for maya cloth, have you (or anyone) seen or used this before?

Will
June 14th, 2006, 07:35
Used maya CLoth for my old guy, know it pretty well, but I'd go with Syflex imho. Syflex is so much easier to use, and the solver is like 10 times quicker.

In maya cloth,
The solving process that you set before the start of your animation (if used on a character) requires some solving time, usually about start about -50 frames up to 0, and takes about a minute to two minutes maybe more of your time for it to solve depending on how dense your mesh is. Solving calculates the dynamic collision, gravity, etc of the cloth.
Crappy part of Maya CLoth is it physically tessilates your polys when you put the mesh in cloth mode (triangulates). So it makes it difficult ot go back. Theres really two efffective ways in Maya cloth to create clothing. One way is to build the mesh yourself and convert it to cloth. The other is to create a garment out of a frame you've created of the basic shape of the shirt on th eback and front using EV curvs and use panels to bridge accross and ident where you want the cloth to bridge off to each panel.

Thats basically Maya cloth. My complaint with it is the slow @$$ solving time.
Syflex is so much easier to use, but is a matter of jumbling values and has way quicker solving times, and no tessilation of the mesh.

SublimeOne
June 14th, 2006, 15:06
Ok, personally haven't read through it yet but it seemed worth while. I'll check out syflex, is that a plug-in?

ProfClayton
July 4th, 2006, 19:14
... back to the topic at hand.

I really liked the caffienated Hammy sequence at the end. That was some ingenious thinking.

My only problem with this movie were the human characters. Only Pixar can do them right. ;)

molina
July 14th, 2006, 21:41
... back to the topic at hand.

I really liked the caffienated Hammy sequence at the end. That was some ingenious thinking.

My only problem with this movie were the human characters. Only Pixar can do them right. ;)
strongly agree

im buying this movie..