PDA

View Full Version : Problems with pdf files

dtazakio
September 29th, 2005, 12:57
Professor Clayton
I tried to open some of the pdf files from different threads and I get a dialog box saying "file does not begin with '%PDF-'." I tried opening it into another window it didn't work. I tried saving it to my computer that didn't work either. I even reload acrobat and that didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions.

ProfClayton
September 29th, 2005, 13:03
Which PDF are you trying to open?

We did a test on this yesterday and for some reason the PDF in the Orientation thread will not open for love nor money.

Let me try it here and see what happens.

ProfClayton
September 29th, 2005, 13:07
That particular one works for me. The SIMD secretary was trying to dl it yesterday and it wouldn't let her open it either.

It worked on my Mac with Reader 7.

Opened on my PC in Reader 6.

dtazakio
September 29th, 2005, 13:11
I tried opening a couple of your pdf files from foundations and they would not open.

ProfClayton
September 29th, 2005, 13:22
What version of Acrobat Reader do you have Robert?

Also, what is your operating system?

dtazakio
September 29th, 2005, 13:34
I have Reader 5.0 and XP pro. There are a couple of other students that are having trouble with the files also.

Suxa
September 29th, 2005, 13:37
I tried to open a pdf file from print III and I get the same error message, right now I'm working on the computers from the Media Center. And the verion installed is acobat 6.

ProfClayton
September 29th, 2005, 13:42
Okay... try this.

1) Right click the link and 'Save Target As...' and save it to the Desktop

2) Go to the desktop and right click and choose 'Open with...' and choose 'Acrobat Reader'.

Then tell me if it opens or not.

Also, since the CS2 suite is supposed to be on those machines in the Media Center, choose 'Open with...' and then navigate to C/Program Files/Adobe/ and find the Acrobat 7 Reader and open it with that.

I have successfully opened all the PDFs on four different machines (2 Macs and 2 PCs) here at the house and all have opened.

Suxa
September 29th, 2005, 13:55
Okay that work.

ProfClayton
September 29th, 2005, 13:59
Its probably something screwy with the install and the way things were set up when they did it.

I'll make a note of it and see what can be done.

dtazakio
September 29th, 2005, 14:15
I tried the open with and got a box saying the file could not be open because it is not supported or corrupted

ProfClayton
September 29th, 2005, 15:19
I tried the open with and got a box saying the file could not be open because it is not supported or corrupted
I just emailed two PDFs to your uiwtx account.

See if you can open them.

Missa
October 4th, 2005, 02:45
Mine do not open as well. I saved it to the desktop and it says the file is corrupted.

Adobe 7.0 and XP pro.

ProfClayton
October 4th, 2005, 08:03
Mine do not open as well. I saved it to the desktop and it says the file is corrupted.

Adobe 7.0 and XP pro.
Hmmm... this is strange.

Can you open the attachment in this thread?

http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3783

dtazakio
October 4th, 2005, 13:32
Since I updated to Reader 7 I have had no problems opening up any of the files.

Missa
October 5th, 2005, 02:33
Yes that one I could open but the ones in the Project 2 post, I still cannot.

ProfClayton
October 8th, 2005, 12:36
Here's something I've found, try this and tell me if it works:

When I click on a PDF form I get a blank page and/or an error message. What can I do?

Certain builds of Netscape, Internet Explorer and AOL do not properly display embedded PDF files, even if Acrobat Reader is installed. Instead they display a blank screen, an error message or a blank screen with a small document image in the upper left corner.

Examples of some of the error messages:
"File does not begin with '%PDF-'"
"Error reading xref entry."

To get around this Adobe recommends configuring Acrobat as a helper, not a plug-in, here's how you do it:

Enabling the Browser to Use Acrobat as a Helper Application

To configure Acrobat or Acrobat Reader as a helper application:

1. Exit from Netscape, Internet Explorer and/or AOL.
2. Start Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
3. Choose Edit > Preferences > Internet (Acrobat 6.x or Acrobat Reader 6.x)
or
Choose Edit > Preferences > General (Acrobat 5.x or Acrobat Reader 5.x)
or
choose File > Preferences > General (Acrobat 4.x or Acrobat Reader 4.x).
4. In the Options section, deselect Display PDF in Browser (Acrobat 6/5.x or Acrobat Reader 6/5.x)
or
deselect Web Browser Integration (Acrobat 4.x or Acrobat Reader 4.x).
5. Click OK, and then exit from Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
6. Restart Netscape, Internet Explorer or AOL.

Note: The next time you select a link to a PDF file in Internet Explorer and AOL, a dialog box will prompt you to specify what to do with the file. If you select "Open this file from its current location," Internet Explorer and AOL open the PDF file in Acrobat 4.0 or later or Acrobat Reader 4.0 or later as a helper application. If you select "Save this file to disk," Internet Explorer saves the PDF file to your hard disk, from where you can open it later.

For more information about the general preferences in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, refer to Adobe Acrobat's help file or web site.

http://www.ci.lincoln.ne.us/main/helppdf.htm