PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Hustle

Bucket
April 24th, 2005, 00:05
I saw Kung Fu Hustle today. It is an action comedy. I liked it. Honestly, I was getting bored at the start of the movie. The movie picks up rather well after the first 20 minutes and maintains a good momentum. This movie has Matrix action with light South Park humor accompanied by 3 stooges slap stick. It does parody popular movies but not a lot. It doesn't cheap out with all out parodies like the scary movie(s). The special effects fit and don't detract from the movie. If any of the above sounds good to you then I reccomend you see this movie.

Otaku_Zero
April 24th, 2005, 13:39
I saw it last night with my girlfriend. she thought it was dumb, but she's supposed to think that stuff is dumb. I liked it a lot. there was one part where the 3D compositing was pretty terrible, but after that everything else was alright. The thing that really distracted me was thinking about the characters everyone played in Shaolin Soccer... another great movie.

ainoreichan
April 24th, 2005, 22:25
I dunno...I didnt much care for it either. But its another Hero and House of Flying daggers to me...I guess I prefer the old martial Arts movies.

Otaku_Zero
April 24th, 2005, 22:43
As I see it, Stephen Chow is trying to revamp the old style kung fu movies. The fighting style and format is very similar to the oldies, but for most viewers today the old stuff is boring, so there has to be some kind of twist or improvement which I think was done very well.

ainoreichan
April 25th, 2005, 09:44
Oh no I agree with you...with massive digital effects he is trying to revamp the old movies...but theres just something about seeing those wires on the actors as they leap from one place to another that makes it all the more enjoyable to watch..There's that old appeal that the older movies have that just seem right. Its probably just me. I love that stuff and the digital stuff is just not right for me. The most recent films that had digital effects that I really didnt mind was Iron Monkey and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. But thats as far as Ill bend. Meh. just me. :D

Otaku_Zero
April 25th, 2005, 23:33
I'm not so sure Crouching Tiger had any digital effects, I'm pretty sure it was done old school, they just made sure you couldn't see the wires, or took them out later, which would be the only digital "effect." I'd call that more editing than an effect.
I'm not even sure I would compare Stephen Chow's movies with stuff like Hero or Flying Daggers, even though I haven't seen the latter. Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle are taking a different direction than other new martial arts movies.
If you don't like it, you don't. I just don't understand, that's all. So, yes, I would say it's just you.

ainoreichan
April 25th, 2005, 23:40
CTHD did have special effects...maybe not compositing.

Well I feel that Steven Chows stuff is on a different level than House of Flying Daggers because one is to be taken more seriously than the other.

Well I'm saying that its just me to be nice about it. I could say I dont understand your opinion either but everyones different. I know lots of other people that dont understand it or understand it and dont like it. But I dont know there are certain cultural things that might be blocking my liking to this movie or other things since I dont know the chinese culture too well. Its just like some other Japanese movies...sometimes it requires a certain cultural knowledge for some people to better understand it in order to like it. Sometimes it doesnt. I think it depends on the person.

Otaku_Zero
April 25th, 2005, 23:53
I'll watch it again to make sure, but it won't be any time soon. If you've got examples, it would make this process of going back and forth about it a lot faster because it's probably just because I haven't seen it in a long time.

I'm not trying to be mean about anything, I was just admiting my lack of understanding. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which is why I'm not saying dumb stuff like "how can you not like this movie?, your retarded." What I was trying to do was envoke a conversation so I could gain the understanding of why you don't like this style of movie, other than "it's just me"

Bucket
April 26th, 2005, 00:36
Women generally do not like this type of movie.

For some people, it only takes one scene to make a person hate a movie. Some people would rather not admit what offends them or what they dislike. Would you want other people to know what bothers you? Sometimes we intentionally reffrane from having an oppinion. Nobody wants to be pigeonholed.

Then again, some people hate stuff and they don't know why.

Otaku_Zero
April 26th, 2005, 00:57
If someone really wants to know my opinion, I'll give it to them. If I'm chastised for my opinion, I'll kick someone's ***. I believe the root of most conflict is misunderstanding. I also think that if everyone just tried a little harder to understand other people, then the world would be a much better place.

acarrera
April 26th, 2005, 01:10
I saw the movie saturday and thought it was interesting for what it was and i dont really watch karate movies.

ainoreichan
April 26th, 2005, 08:21
I'm not trying to be mean about anything, I was just admiting my lack of understanding. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which is why I'm not saying dumb stuff like "how can you not like this movie?, your retarded." What I was trying to do was envoke a conversation so I could gain the understanding of why you don't like this style of movie, other than "it's just me" Otaku_zero

I'm not trying to be mean either and Im not trying to be a troll to this post either. In fact I appreciate the fact that you are even bothering to try to understand where I am coming from. Ive been trying to post my reasons for my dislike of this movie and here are some more:

1) Lacking story. Most of the older Kung Fu movies I have seen like Wing Chun (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111800/) or known as Yong Chun, CTHD, Iron Monkey, The Heroic Trio (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105619/), and The Executioners (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108606/), to name a few, managed to have great fight scenes but still kept my interest. I know that you don't see a martial arts movie because of the story but these managed to do a good job. And some of them didn't have a romance theme in case you guys were wondering since you know I'm a girl and all and probably think I'm into chick flicks. Blah!

2) Digital Effects, including compositing. While I actually thought the Kung Fu Hustle movie had some nice compositing and it was esp nice to see some old reference to cartoons..chase scene between lanlord/lady and hero, It's just not the same for me. Hmmm...I guess to better explain this is that even though Wing Chun was made in 1994 it's got that old movie feel..a classic feel..a silly I-can-see-the-wires feel to it. And I love that stuff...Thats what made the martial arts movie for me.

3)Humor. I dunno you can say I dont have a sense of humor or really I do but it takes a lot to find other gags or suprises to make me laugh. I don't find most of the cartoons we watched in Hist of Anim funny. I guess its because I saw them when I was a kid over and over. I'm esp desensitized to most films out in our industry, the same thing is being presented except in a different form. I know this movie has loads of funny things about it but I just couldnt get into it...if I thought it lacked story then the humor could have saved it but since there are gags in there I have seen before well didn't help.

It's just best to say I didn't like it. For this individual it just didn't do the trick.

Women generally do not like this type of movie. ..Bucket

thats true ben. I happen to be a girl and not like this move but it doesnt mean I dont like other martial arts films. And Im sure there are other women who liked the movie too.

whew time to do some 3d now.

Spooty
April 26th, 2005, 08:25
Nothing compairs to Bloodsport!:p and I am a woman and I love that cheesy movie man.

Uh, come on guys how can a movie with a guy that looks like this not be wicked sweet.

Bucket
April 26th, 2005, 09:39
Otaku_zero

thats true ben. I happen to be a girl and not like this move but it doesnt mean I dont like other martial arts films. And Im sure there are other women who liked the movie too.

whew time to do some 3d now.

Yes karen, there are women who like this movie. I never said all women don't like this type of movie. But generally, (meaning most women) don't like this type of movie.

Anyways it is important to be able to have an oppinion and not beat around the bush. I don't know what your oppionion is because it sounds like you don't like the story but are not quite sure. You don't like the

I'll give you my oppinion of why I hate the yellow egg anime flashy thingy. The core reason why I hate that animation is because I was subjected to that kind of crap when I was in elementary school. Everything was a world of contradiction. We are told to act grown up. Yet they make us sing stupid kiddy songs and perform stupid kiddy plays in front of our parrents. I don't see any other grown ups singing london bridge is falling down. At school the walls have zillions of pictures of happy kids. Happy sun. Happy moon. Happy stars. Happy alphabet. Yet being at school amongst the oppressive threatening teachers made me quite the opposite. Thus dancing smiling eggs talking about nutrition makes me sick. Loaded with contradiction. Don't the eggs know that they are asking people to eat them? That is about as demented as the talking chicken mcnuggets that like to swim in hot mustard sauce.

Anyways, that is my rant/oppinion. And I didn't dance around it. But there is the fear that now I am going to be labeled a nut for having an oppinion. (he's crazy, must've had oppressive childhood blah blah blah.) It's about being brutally honest. Exploring why you feel the way you feel.

ProfClayton
April 26th, 2005, 09:55
FYI, it is spelled O-P-I-N-I-O-N.

;)

To me Karen outlined rather well why she didn't like the movie (or movies that are similar). Go back and re-read it if you think you missed something.

I find movies like this to be nothing more than fluff and I don't get wrapped up in it. The whole genre is starting to bore me because of over saturation. Thank the heavens that we are all different and have differing views on things.

Ain't this world a great place!

... and by the way simmer down please..

Otaku_Zero
April 26th, 2005, 10:02
yes, I think Karen did outline her o-p-i-n-i-o-n well and I appreciate that she did so. As for Bucket, all I can say is sometimes silence can keep a lot of stuff off your back, mainly referring to the comment about women.

Professor Watkins
April 26th, 2005, 10:14
I love forum fights.

Bucket
April 26th, 2005, 13:10
Wow, look at that. Opinion has one p. I must have mispelled it so bad nobody knew what I was talking about, though I got a double correction. I'll have to remember that when everyone else makes has a typo. Probably wouldn't have those problems if someone actually put in a spell checker like the rest of the forums in existance. Mr Clayton, when you want to make a point clear and noticable, make sure it is in big text for everyone to read. Small text makes it seem like a suggestion. I suggest in the future that if you go on the offensive don't end your sentence asking people to simmer down. Accomplishes nothing. If you feel that my post is offensive, then what part?

Otaku, you obviously need to reread my post. Probably missed something.

Professor Watkins
April 26th, 2005, 13:30
Wow. Things getting nasty now. Perhaps we should close this one down before someone gets their feelbads hurt. Sounds like some feathers are getting ruffled over some pretty trite issues.