PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton's Willy Wonka Trailer

industrial_baby
December 11th, 2004, 12:18
Check out the teaser trailer for Tim Burtons remake called "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". I love Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka just because he plays "strange" very well, and being Tim Burton is the director well i just know it will be very strange. I heard about this movie i think like a year ago and im really excited to see it. (not many movies get me "excited" to see them)

Kelley
- so this and the FF7 are my most anticipated movies. Oh and Meet the Fockers.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1313540&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400) (Quicktime Format)

Will
December 11th, 2004, 17:32
OMG, Heck yeah that is so AWESOME, I'll second the anticipation for both

Spooty
December 11th, 2004, 20:03
I would go see a Johnny Depp even if it was just 2 hours of him standing there being creepy.

nowhere man
December 12th, 2004, 14:36
Gotta love the 60s pyschadelic vibe.

Are the Oompa Loompas in a rock band in one scene? It looks like they're wearing Sgt. Pepper outfits. :D

ProfClayton
December 12th, 2004, 14:58
If you go back and watch the trailer closely, it looks like Mr. Burton is not steering far from the original as far as the story goes... the only difference I can see is that he's updated the Mike Teevee character to a kid who's obsessed with video games.

As a bit of trivia, what 90's band got their name from a character in WWATCF? (Hint: Their one-hit-wonder was a song called 'Seether'.)

Andrew
December 12th, 2004, 16:10
Argg, I think I'll be comparing it too much to the original Willy Wonka...

The envorinments look rather like something from the Cat in the Hat... hopefully it won't be that bad.

Jacqueline
December 12th, 2004, 17:12
Veruca Salt. :D

Yes, I love the original... It will have to be marvelous to gain my approval.

Erik
December 12th, 2004, 22:26
I really love Tim Burton's movies but I am still not to sure about this one since remakes of classics are always hard. I really just want to see how he is going to handle the tunnel of terror scene.

littlepunk29
December 12th, 2004, 22:33
that preview scared the crap out of me...

i dunno why...maybe the high pitched singing...or maybe the frightening look of "willy wonka"

i don't think i was ready for the change from the good ol' gene wilder.

Andrew
December 13th, 2004, 15:04
So, how come the other thread was privileged enough to move into the movie forum and not this one?!?!?

;)

ProfClayton
December 13th, 2004, 15:56
So, how come the other thread was privileged enough to move into the movie forum and not this one?!?!?
Happy now?

texas72shovelhead
May 6th, 2005, 10:52
If you go back and watch the trailer closely, it looks like Mr. Burton is not steering far from the original as far as the story goes... the only difference I can see is that he's updated the Mike Teevee character to a kid who's obsessed with video games.

As a bit of trivia, what 90's band got their name from a character in WWATCF? (Hint: Their one-hit-wonder was a song called 'Seether'.)

uhhhh Varuca salt ?

Jacqueline
July 13th, 2005, 09:15
I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night (advance screening) and it was interesting... Johnny Depp is seriously creepy.

Stylistically, it was impressive. Some of the special effects were really nice, while other parts (particularly the glass elevator) were more sketchy.

Overall, the movie creeped me out, and I like the original far more.

Spooty
July 13th, 2005, 22:22
The thing that was weird in the original was that eveything in the candy room looked nasty. The chocolate river looked like the missippi,not somthing you wana eat. (note) Most of the squirrels are real and not cg. They trained them to crack the nuts.

ProfClayton
July 14th, 2005, 09:36
I got my son (Aaron) the book for his 7th b-day a few weeks ago and told him that if he read the book he could see the movie.

He's already on Chapter 19 and is on track to see the movie with his Grandmother and me next week.

I'm a big fan of the Gene Wilder film, but personally, I can't wait to see this one.

ainoreichan
July 15th, 2005, 17:55
Hey guys I just saw it. I liked it for the most part but the older one is the one I like the best.

Professor Watkins
July 15th, 2005, 20:59
Saw it. Loved it. Great Design.

industrial_baby
July 16th, 2005, 18:36
I saw it last night and i absoultely loved it. It was magnificent. The sets were amazing and i loved the quirkiness of the characters. I love Johnny Depp as an actor because he takes on a new persona for each role he plays making them all different. I had heard about the squirrels being real and i must say those were some well trained squirrels!!!

Tim Burton Rox!

Did you all catch that preview for The Corpse Bride? god, that looks cool!!!

kelley

Will
July 16th, 2005, 22:07
We just got back, great movie, Tim Burton's work is flawless. Yes and Depp is a very impressive actor. I never enjoyed the old version. I can only see Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles, and obviously the ending is way better because well.. the old one didnt have one. True that, loved the squirrel, and loved the creativity. If anyone is to do a perfect remake its Burton.

Otaku_Zero
July 20th, 2005, 10:29
I also agree that it was great

SublimeOne
July 20th, 2005, 21:37
I liked it to a certain extent. You're right Will, I can see Gene Wilder in another movie like See No Evil, Hear No Evil or Young Frankenstein, great in the original Willy Wonka though. Saw War of the World's too, thought it sucked, same thing happened over and over. Only movie I liked this summer was Batman Begins and maybe Star Wars III.

hopper2k
July 23rd, 2005, 15:12
i don't think i'll see it (yet) because i liked the original too much.

remakes...sigh.

If anyone is to do a perfect remake its Burton.

*cough*planetoftheapes*cough*

Will
July 23rd, 2005, 18:56
you know I was about to say that. I totally forgot about that. But I must say Helena Bonham Carter looked pretty hot in an ape suit.

Erik
July 23rd, 2005, 19:13
Just saw it today and while I liked the movie I thought the original was better. Also didn't like the one oompa loompa and their songs in this version

ProfClayton
July 24th, 2005, 20:33
I got my son (Aaron) the book for his 7th b-day a few weeks ago and told him that if he read the book he could see the movie.

He's already on Chapter 19 and is on track to see the movie with his Grandmother and me next week.

I'm a big fan of the Gene Wilder film, but personally, I can't wait to see this one.

My son finsihed the book last Monday so we took him to see it (and his little sister) and WE LOVED IT!

Far better than the 1971 version.

I've always thought of Gene Wilder's "Willy Wonka" as a psychopath, but Johnny Depps "Willy Wonka" was more of a sociopath.

Depp was creepy... I can live with creepy. Wilder was just plain troubling.

... and I loved how Burton replaced the old "Golden Goose" with the "Squirrels", that was handled so well.