PDA

View Full Version : what is the best concert you've ever been to?

parklife
November 29th, 2004, 17:51
I'm feeling sick, slightly bored, and making a lame attempt at procrastinating before I continue working on senior portfolio stuff, so I propose this question...

what is the best concert you've ever attended?

ProfClayton
November 29th, 2004, 18:23
... are you going to answer you own question?

For me?

Slaughter w/ Siagon Kick '92

I don't go to many concerts... too expensive.

parklife
November 29th, 2004, 18:37
my bad --

Morrissey
at Meltdown 2004 in London or

Blur
at the Astoria, London '03

industrial_baby
November 29th, 2004, 19:13
Ummmm hmmm i dunno so many... uh lets see

Nine Inch Nails (Houston, 2000)

in second place would be either Pantera w/Coal Chamber (Here @ Sunken, 1997)
or Smashing Pumpkins (Here @ Freeman, 1996) or Green Day (Here @ Freeman, 199?) Yes those are quite different bands but defintly some of my favs out of the bunch.

Oh then theres so many others that i love.
Blah...
Kelley

Angelo Pardo
November 29th, 2004, 20:02
Haha, the only concerts I've ever been to was a Cheryl Crow concert here in San Antonio in the Sunken Gardens place.

Most recently was a Josh Brogan concert in the Woodlands Pavilion in Houston. It was fun...XD!

Oh and Prof. Clayton, love the avatar, is THAT your character for WOW? :3

Zero Ska
November 29th, 2004, 20:14
The Warped Tours were great. I went to the 2002/2003/2004. I liked the Streetlight Manifesto here in August. I hurt the next day from skankin' too much.

- Zero Ska

Andrew
November 29th, 2004, 20:18
Hmmm, best concerts, eh?

The one I most enjoyed was Paul Coleman Trio in Austin. Awesome band to see/hear live...

The best visual show I've seen was put on by dcTalk at the Freeman...

ProfClayton
November 29th, 2004, 20:42
Most recently was a Josh Brogan concert in the Woodlands Pavilion in Houston. It was fun...XD!
That would be Josh Groban. Got a little lysdexic there Pardo. ;)

Oh and Prof. Clayton, love the avatar, is THAT your character for WOW? :3
No... Legends of Wrestling II.

Spooty
November 29th, 2004, 21:13
Rammstein/stained- a few years back at Verison, Rammstein blew stained out to the water. Their visuals were crazy. The singer lit his whole body on fire. Hard to top that top that. I think I lost some hearing that day, I was in the 4th row with the sound techs behind me when one goes Ahh, crep turn it down

Or Rolling Stones at sbc- not much to say about that other than
ITS THE STONES

Angelo Pardo
November 29th, 2004, 22:07
That would be Josh Groban. Got a little lysdexic there Pardo. ;)

No... Legends of Wrestling II.

Haha, the Brogan-switch is an inside joke of mine and mum's. It makes him sound nasty. Actually, both do. :P

Oh okay, wrestling, haha, Professional Wrestler "Clay" on the move again. XD
Book signing in 108 tomorrow Sir? :)

hopper2k
November 29th, 2004, 22:46
i haven't been to many shows, but i guess the best show i'd have to say would be Funeral for a Friend, May 29 04, at the Forum in London. I kept hearing how good their live shows were, and while I thought their debut album was good but a bit over-produced, their live versions are 10 times better and the band completely blew me away. oh, and i also got to appear in their DVD in which a tour documentary was recorded from this show. i'm in it for about 10 frames, and the actual scene is in fast motion (the camera's passing by everyone in the queue), so i had look at it frame by frame to find myself, haHA! here's my 15 minutes of fame:

http://www.shatteredmotion.com/medvd.jpg

i'm the only one waving like a goober.

ProfClayton
November 29th, 2004, 23:02
...here's my .3 seconds of fame.
Fixed ;)

Jacqueline
November 30th, 2004, 00:00
The Guess Who and Joe Cocker concert at the Verizon in 2001, and the Hanson concert at Sunset Station earlier this semester. :D

Got a little lysdexic

Aww, dyslexia is all too familiar to me...

mojosalsa
November 30th, 2004, 01:00
Aerosmith 2001 at Verizon. And it was during the time of year when there are swarms of grasshoppers, and Steven Tyler said something to the effect of having to be careful before a cricket flies in his big mouth.

woo!http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/funny/smile18.gif

nowhere man
November 30th, 2004, 16:10
The two concerts I enjoyed the most are:

Radiohead @ Woodlands Pavillion October 2003 (outside of Houston, TX)

The Strokes @ Austin Music Hall March 2004 (Austin, TX)

Both bands kick mucho butt live! ;)

Andrew
November 30th, 2004, 17:16
Weird, Hopper, you look a little like me in that pic...

parklife
November 30th, 2004, 23:19
Yeah, The Strokes rock live, was very impressed, but it was the show last year that I went to, when Ben Kweller was the opening act. He was good as well. I don't remember who opened for them this time around.

Janzer
December 1st, 2004, 15:21
Very hard question to answer, been to many. Pumpkins here in SA (I was there Industrial :D) I agree, was a great show, plus they are my favorite band until I die. Otherwise, I would pick Opeth in Houston a couple years back, but to top that even, was Iced Earth in Austin a couple years back, when they had Barlow (now they have Tim "the Ripper" Owens from Judas Priest fame). It was like mini-Athens....best freakin show. Barlow and Shaffer were in awe, they were like....where the hell are we? Are we in the states? This can't be right! hheheh, it was awesome to be able to give back to the band what joy they gave us. Either way, too many shows to choose from....pantera, metallica, zombie, iron maiden, megadeth, pearl jam, quinto sol, bob marley's wailers, dimmu borgir, the symphony when i was a kid (heheh, love classical), and on and on.

industrial_baby
December 1st, 2004, 21:17
Oh yes i forgot to mention the symphony. My sister was a professional ballet dancer up until her knee surgery last year and i have seen many performances to symphony that made me fall in love with the symphony. My favorite so far is Carmina Burana (sp?) That ballet and the music are awesome - i still listen to the cd. I have tickets for next year for our symphony for when they perform The Planets (yay!)

Kelley

parklife
December 1st, 2004, 21:44
nuh uh!! The Planets, really??

seriously, though, the fact that our symphony goes bankrupt and the musicians in it are constantly having to take pay cuts is inexcusable. San Antonio needs to allot more funding to the symphony, and to a real music venue that will accomodate bigger ensembles, period. The Majestic is a great theater, but the stage has had to be practically cut in half to accomodate the Empire Theater on its opposite side.

Mike Greenberg of the Express-News has one of the best Sunday columns, and gave a breakdown of the percentages cities across the U.S. give to the performing arts (as in, funding for their local symphonys, music halls/opera houses). The results were astounding...some of these cities are significantly smaller than San Antonio and have allotted so much more.

vashgirlems2000
December 2nd, 2004, 12:22
Hmmm,.. the best concert I have been to was Ozzfest '03.. It ROCKED!!! yah!! \m/ even the day before ozzfest, I got to meet Jonathan Davis of KORN and got his autograph and stuff.. :) yah!! :-D

Professor Watkins
December 2nd, 2004, 16:14
Depeche Mode 1991 (Violator Tour - Houston)

Morrisey 1993 (SLC Huntsman Center)

In a club settings my favorite had to be the concerts of Nitzer Ebb, Information Society, Fionna Apple, and Harry Conick Jr (when he was doing funk jazz).

Professor Watkins
December 2nd, 2004, 16:20
seriously, though, the fact that our symphony goes bankrupt and the musicians in it are constantly having to take pay cuts is inexcusable. San Antonio needs to allot more funding to the symphony, and to a real music venue that will accomodate bigger ensembles, period. The Majestic is a great theater, but the stage has had to be practically cut in half to accomodate the Empire Theater on its opposite side.

Just my $.02. The symphony went bankrupt because of terrible management. The discussions of what happened there is a topic of much discussion and mockery in the arts administration world. The symphony had really well attended events and still went down. Comparable symphonies, with similar attendance (and similar budgetst) in other citiess are thriving. There was really no reason for them to go down. With that sort of mismanagement, no matter how much money goes into the organization, its gonna fail. Hopefully the new management team is much better, and they'll quit screwing around. It's important for a city to have a symphony (and theatres, and art galleries, and museums, and alternative cinemas, and.....)

Professor Watkins
December 2nd, 2004, 16:23
Very hard question to answer, been to many. Pumpkins here in SA (I was there Industrial :D) I agree, was a great show, plus they are my favorite band until I die. Otherwise, I would pick Opeth in Houston a couple years back, but to top that even, was Iced Earth in Austin a couple years back, when they had Barlow (now they have Tim "the Ripper" Owens from Judas Priest fame). It was like mini-Athens....best freakin show. Barlow and Shaffer were in awe, they were like....where the hell are we? Are we in the states? This can't be right! hheheh, it was awesome to be able to give back to the band what joy they gave us. Either way, too many shows to choose from....pantera, metallica, zombie, iron maiden, megadeth, pearl jam, quinto sol, bob marley's wailers, dimmu borgir, the symphony when i was a kid (heheh, love classical), and on and on.

Is your avatar from Sanjuro?

nowhere man
December 2nd, 2004, 16:23
Yeah, The Strokes rock live, was very impressed, but it was the show last year that I went to, when Ben Kweller was the opening act. He was good as well. I don't remember who opened for them this time around.

Cool! I went to that show as well. It was Adam Green and Ben Kweller who opened for The Strokes that year. This last tour the opening act was The Sounds, I believe.

Janzer
December 2nd, 2004, 16:41
Is your avatar from Sanjuro?
Nice of you to notice, yep, that's correct.