PDA

View Full Version : Ram

Angelo Pardo
November 1st, 2004, 08:51
What's the ideal optimal number of gigs pertaining to RAM for your computer to run smoothly when dealing with big programs? i know you don't have to HAVE gigs, but what would be the maximum that you would allow yourself to have without overdoing it?

also, not related to the question, but what's better for video games, Maya or 3DSMax?

ProfClayton
November 1st, 2004, 09:01
Without getting into too much detail (motherboards, speed, etc.), most systems can get away with 512 MBs.

Personally, I stick about a Gig of RAM in my machines and it handles all of my needs, and I can have all 6 programs I use up at once with no problems.

Zero Ska
November 1st, 2004, 13:54
I have 512 in both computers, it slows down sometimes but nothing to bad. I can usually run PS and Illustrator with ease.

- Zero Ska

Angelo Pardo
November 1st, 2004, 14:20
okay, thanks guys!

and how about for maya? will 512 slow it down?

hopper2k
November 1st, 2004, 17:55
i'd go 1 gb for maya...i got 1gb, and never run into slow down problems. i usually have gobs of other programs running at the same time too.

Professor Watkins
November 1st, 2004, 20:09
When working with 3D, you can never have enough RAM. When it comes time to render, the more RAM you have, the faster the render. Max your motherboard out if you can afford it (without debt). RAM is cheap these days.