PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Tablet

Bucket
May 4th, 2004, 19:33
Anybody know where I can get a good deal on a wacom tablet, preferably 9x12 or larger?

ProfClayton
May 4th, 2004, 19:39
www.pricegrabber.com ... search for 'Intuos2'

Here's a link to a 9x12 thats $350 +/-

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=851957/search=Intuos2

You might want to try eBay... search for 'Intuos2 9x12 USB'

Good luck...

... but I'm curious, why one that big?

Bucket
May 4th, 2004, 20:47
I've tried 4x5 tab and that felt awful and I tried a 6x8 tab and that still felt restrictive, I really need a space about the size of notebook paper. Thats about the best way I can explain it.

stage5studio
May 4th, 2004, 23:57
ebay is probably the best place to find a DEAL, I know that 350 sounds really high, but if you find anywhere that is selling the Intous 9x12 for around 300, post it man so the rest of us can hit that up......The Bigger you go, the more you draw with the shoulder and less with the wrist, keep that in mind if you are a wrister...

Will
May 5th, 2004, 08:40
yeah or you know there this really great invention called paper and pencil, not sure if you guys have heard of it, I mean they've only been around since the Han Dynasty.

ProfClayton
May 5th, 2004, 08:52
Will... no more 'thread crapping' (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/images/smilies/crap.gif) please. If you don't have anything of value to contribute to the thread then don't post.

I think that Bucket is well aware of those 'inventions' but he's looking for a digital alternative.

Thanks.

Will
May 5th, 2004, 09:28
hehe, I know what ben wants it for,

here I found one for 255 at bid for 71 at hte moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3680&item=4127748431&rd=1

ProfClayton
May 5th, 2004, 09:34
Originally posted by Will
... here I found one for 255 at bid for 71 at hte moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3680&item=4127748431&rd=1
Thats a tablet for a Mac using a serial connection. Nice try Will. ;)

Will
May 5th, 2004, 21:12
Hey I was only trying help and clean my thread pooping, See ben, if you get that , then all you need is a MAC. =)

Thomas Monberg Thompson
May 5th, 2004, 22:52
or go try out for the machine flesh contest at cgtalk. man I could only dream of the stuff they're handing out, like a machine that costs allmost 2 g's. BTW why is the cgtalk.com website banned by UIW calling it under "sexual content" catagory?/??????(that websense bs)

Thomas Monberg Thompson
May 5th, 2004, 22:56
btw, would it be a good idea to offer a digitall painting course at the school?

Sam Treadway
May 7th, 2004, 12:54
Originally posted by OptimusDinkus
btw, would it be a good idea to offer a digitall painting course at the school?

they do... It's called Digital Imaging...
http://support.uiwtx.edu/banweb/catalog/catalog2004c.htm

(look at the second course description)

Thomas Monberg Thompson
May 7th, 2004, 20:23
Yes sam, however, I speak more on traditional painting (you know, to creat better textures/ images with practice and guidance from the wonderfull staff at uiw?). I know it may be trivial to answer this question with "just take a traditional painting course" but hey, it could be alot of fun dealing with different techniques with filters rather than hunting all over the internet to find crummy displayed step by step tut's

Joseph Blalock
May 9th, 2004, 13:51
i recently tried out wacom's cintique (spelling?) monitor/tablet thing...and it felt much more natural that drawing on my 9x12" tablet. only drawback is that the cintique us major $$$

Thomas Monberg Thompson
May 9th, 2004, 14:19
Now if only someone would come out with a tablet that could be in direct competition with Wacom, then we would be getting somewhere!

ProfClayton
May 9th, 2004, 15:00
Originally posted by malMethod
i recently tried out wacom's cintique (spelling?) monitor/tablet thing...and it felt much more natural that drawing on my 9x12" tablet. only drawback is that the cintique us major $$$
The Cintiq monitor/tablets are very nice. I might be getting one in the Fall. They just had price drops... the 15" was $1900 and is now $1500, and the 18" dropped from $3500 to $2500.

Here's their page at Wacoms site:

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm

stage5studio
May 13th, 2004, 17:29
I think a digital painting course would be awesome, but the faculty is already spread thin teaching all the other aspects of design. There are plenty of DVD's out there by a lot of the pros that are really well done and are in step by step format that are easy to follow and help out a lot. These are guys that are AC grads and have worked in the auto industry and worked on movies like starwars and the likes....The only problem with digital painting is that it is hard, and no tut is going to make you a bad *** overnight, you just have to practice......

Here are some tips:

-Use lots of layers. Almost everyone blocks in their shapes with darks (if you are painting without line art) and build up highlights and details with lighter colors and transparancies (for instance you would go from 80% to 60% to 40% and so on....) The shapes are the most important part of the piece, DETAILS ARE LAST.

-Filters are cool, but you should try to create all your effects with your brushes(like an oil painting) these are the basic tools(pshop):

-Brush Tool(different settings of course)
-Blur Tool
-Dogde Tool
-Burn Tool
-Eye Dropper(to grab colors)
-Eraser(play out your mistakes, they can be fixed later on or you may end up liking them in the end)

You need to start building up a brush library that you are familiar with. By knowing your tools, you can get the most out of them... Create a sketching pencil and some brushes that meet your needs....maybe Clayton will let me post a few of minethat I made for download.........:)

You need to know color before you begin to paint it. There are things in real life that are very hard to recreate on paper and are even harder to put on the screen. Get yourself a little book or read up online about everything color. Everyone knows the colorwheel, I am talking about things like speculars and radiosity and the likes..........

Practice, Practice, Practice..........

Hope that helps all the noobies out there......
wow, that was way more than I wanted to type..............

Thomas Monberg Thompson
May 24th, 2004, 15:48
all that you said is true silvia, however, as far as using filter tricks, thats where the span of knowledge is somewhat limited to one just "messing around" in photoshop and is helpfully displayed in tutorials. I mean, certain details that you can create usually deal with alot of different filters (noise being a major one) but thats just to the span of digital painting rather than other uses (texturing is a big one that a knowledge of filters is a must is most casses(like dirt, grit, details such as those).

Bucket
May 29th, 2004, 01:36
Got my tablet not too long ago. It beats painting with a mouse for sure. Here is something I slapped together while playing with it. The very common, snowy mountain by a lake with trees in the foreground.

Bucket
June 1st, 2004, 22:31
I tried making some textures yesterday using my tablet. Here is a lava texture I made for fun in ps and applied it to a sphere in maya and rendered out with maya. I'm starting to wonder how I ever managed to make anything with a mouse. Anyways I'm sounding like a commercial now. I'll just leave it at, tablets rock.

ProfClayton
June 11th, 2004, 13:19
From Dealmac/Dealnews today:

Used Wacom Intuos 6x8 Graphic Tablet for $110
12:21 pm ET, Jun 11, 2004

The used Wacom Intuos 6x8 Graphic Tablet (http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?action=view&pid=764871) costs $109.99 at MegaMacs.com. It's the lowest price we've seen by $60, although no software is included. (Drivers can at least be downloaded from Wacom's site.) Shipping starts around $8. A 30-day reseller warranty applies.
It's for Mac and PC... and that's a pretty decent price for a refurb.