PDA

View Full Version : JB108 - Virus Epidemic

Professor Watkins
October 30th, 2008, 15:36
Strange things are happening here. We've got trojan's popping up on a lot of the machines. The teacher's station has a massive crash on startup (something about DrWatson (which then disappears)) - and students who plug their jump drive into this machine later complain about not being able to access the jump drive (it turns out you can still access it by right-clicking and choosing Explore - but you can't double-click on the drive (Access Denied)).

So something is running about in the lab.

sephiroths-muse
November 3rd, 2008, 21:58
Dammit. Now I know why my USB has been acting funky. Today I inserted my USB onto two of my computers and got this "access denied" message.

BTW, does this virus effect the comps themselves? I've noticed my computer has been having slow RAM memory lately. I've never had this problem before since my comp was able to handle both PS and Illustrator simultansouly. Now it can only handle one and it takes awhile for a simple Illustrator file to save. Could this be related to that stupid virus? If so, what can I do? And is my USB now useless? I know I can still use it via right-clicking, but I don't want to keep infecting my comp if it's permanently infected. Is there anything I can do?

Obsydian
November 3rd, 2008, 22:39
Shoot, I haven't tried my USB since our last class...I hope I don't have it. What do we do for class tomorrow? I don't want to risk anything!

sephiroths-muse
November 4th, 2008, 01:36
Just in case your flash drive got screwed up likes mines did with this virus, just reformat it. That oughta get rid of that nasty Trojan. I just did it now and my computer now recognizes it w/o me having to right-click on explorer.

Man, I *hate* how the media center is like an Alien-infested chamber that keeps spewing up crap and making life miserable for us CART majors. >_>

Obsydian
November 4th, 2008, 05:45
Oh whew, mine is okay, must have happened after Thursday. x_x
I think I'm going to upload my scene to the ftp...

Professor Watkins
November 4th, 2008, 06:54
Any open access lab is going to be vulnerable for that type of thing. So far, this doesn't corrupt your drive, it just makes it so that you have to right-click and choose Explore. (So no, "my virus ate my homework" excuses).

It is also correct that if you move your data elsewhere, and reformat your drive will behave for a while.

The good news is that the machines' virus protection is indeed catching these viruses. If you are on a machine that says it's found a virus, let the virus software do it's work (which in this case often includes a restart).