PDA

View Full Version : I,robot

Will
March 12th, 2004, 16:38
I Robot Trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/irobotqt.html)

Dudes seriously, if you've seen the Animatrix: The Second Renaissance Part 1, the movie looks like its exactly like it, about the robot committing murder

ProfClayton
March 12th, 2004, 17:50
I, Robot is based on a series of interlocking short stories by Isaac Asimov. While I liked the book, this movie seems almost laughable with Will Smith as the lead.

No doubt this will be big in the Box Office (I for one will see it), I'm not expecting it to stick that close to the book.

From Amazon:

The three laws of Robotics:
1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm
2) A robot must obey orders givein to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

With this, Asimov changed our perception of robots forever when he formulated the laws governing their behavior. In I, Robot, Asimov chronicles the development of the robot through a series of interlinked stories: from its primitive origins in the present to its ultimate perfection in the not-so-distant future--a future in which humanity itself may be rendered obsolete.

Here are stories of robots gone mad, of mind-read robots, and robots with a sense of humor. Of robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world--all told with the dramatic blend of science fact & science fiction that became Asmiov's trademark.

Will
July 17th, 2004, 01:12
Finally saw it last night,

I thought it was pretty good. Story really isnt all that great but I think thats because we've been spoiled with previous movies that have already taken concepts from the original book/story of Asimov's I robot, ie (Matrix, A.I., Minority Report)

Plot: In the near future, robots play a huge role in aiding humanity for all purposes. A homicide detective (Will Smith) just recovered from major accident involving a robot has caused him to realize an obvious flaw in these machines.
Now a huge Robo Corp. called USR is issuing a new model of robots that cna express human emotions guided by three basic laws. Just a few days before presentation to the public something terrible goes wrong. The Creator of all this wonderous technology has allegedly committed suicide. But Smith who is a close friend of this scientist is suspicious that one of his machines has commited a crime against the three manditory laws. And thus this is where he investigates and runs into some tight situations.

Smith had a few good Laughs.

CG: the graphics were pretty good, but still kinda iffy on the metropolitan city scape. One part where one particular building looked too.. uh... Jimmy Nuetron/Rolly Polly Olly CG level of quality. Some semi bad compositing issues. But for all the CG action scenes, were pretty darn good. Theres one really kick arse robot/robot fight that was incredible and very well animated, cause witht he moves these two did, I can almost bet this was not mocap. Parts where they have all the robots in platoon like clusters were nice and realistic, none of which looked cheaply uniformed, each machine as they walked were out of cadance like they had a mind of their own. Which I would guess that whole part was Mocap, seeing how the list of Stunt doubles shown at the end credits was very...v ery... very long. (but I'm wondering, would it cost more to have a bunch of stunt doubles that mocapped for you, or if you were to use a program like MASSIVE to simmulate AI in multiple individual characters?)

Anyways I found the movie entertaining, but nothing to deeply look into, and if I did I'd probably find it disappointing, so I'm just gonna take it as is.

6/10

Update---------------

Welll been reading other peoples reviews, and apparently on the messageboard s I went to, there's a lot of Controversy that this is a sort of satiristic view of slavery itself, that its now turned around, Will Smith being african american is the guy with the "whip" and all the other robots are white, representing.. welll.. the obvious, oh boy. wow..gotta love the general public criticism. I guess you can thank Dave Chappelle for that.

ProfClayton
July 26th, 2004, 10:43
I saw it on Saturday and quite enjoyed it.

It had the right balance of seriousness and humor, and found the story intriguing. Some of the scene were a little too contrived (ie, Will chasing down the purse-snatching robot), but some others were great (ie, Sonny taking out the red-light NS-5s).

Its a definate DVD buy for me.

**** of ***** stars.

Jacqueline
July 26th, 2004, 17:06
That was a spiffy parking garage... Really nice. Cute cat too.